It's already the end of August. YIKES! The holidays are on their way. Can you believe it?
I feel as though I'm often scrambling to prepare everything. But not this year. Yes, this year I'm starting early.
During the holidays, my go to neighbor gift is a CD of our favorite holiday tunes.
This year I wanted to improve the presentation of our gift so I searched online but didn't find anything that I loved. So I headed to the craft store and came up with this...
This would make a really easy and amazing holiday gift, wedding party favor, or photographer packaging. Just slip a CD or DVD with anything your heart desires and you're good to go.
Despite the lengthy tutorial, it is a quick and easy project that can be done in no time!
Click below for the instructions!
You will need:
- Bi-Fold Foam Board. I found mine at Michael's (photo below)
- X-acto Knife
- Piece of fabric cut into a 16 x 15 inch rectangle
- Small strip of coordinating fabric or ribbon (mine was 20 inches long)
- 1 paper CD Sleeve (found mine at target)
- Hot Glue Gun
Bi-Fold Foam Board.
1. With your X-acto knife, cut your bi-fold foam into a 5 1/2 inch square. Don't make the same mistake I did.. Be sure and cut your square so that include the folded edge.
It should look like this:
2. Get your 16 by 13 inch fabric piece. On the long side of your fabric piece, fold under one raw edge 1/2 of an inch. Hot glue the raw edge to the wrong side of your fabric piece.
3. On the outside of your foam board, draw a line that is three inches above the bottom edge.
4. Next, it's time to begin hot gluing the fabric onto the foam board. To do this, take the long side of your fabric piece that still has the raw edge untouched. You will begin hot gluing with the foam board shut. Hot glue the fabric to the front of your foam board on that line that you just drew in step #3. Pull the fabric tight and smooth out as you glue.
****Be sure to leave some extra fabric (about 1 1/2 inches) on side of your foam board (see the extra fabric on the right in the photo below). You will need this fabric later to clean up the edges. : )*****
5. Hot glue the fabric to the folded edge of your foam board. Smoothing out as you go.
6. Finish hot gluing the fabric to the back of your foam board as you did in step #4. You should now have something that looks like this:
7. Wrap the fabric over the top of the foam board and glue along the top edge.
Do the same for the bottom edge of the foam board. Remember to pull the fabric tight for a clean finish.
8. Hot glue the folded down edge of your fabric onto the front of your CD case. Be sure and cover all the raw edges.
9. Working on the edges of your foam board, wrap the one raw edge of your fabric like so and glue in place. (Not sure how to explain this, feel free to email with questions!)
10. Fold down your other raw edge and tuck it into the little pocket. Carefully glue into place.
11. Get your coordinating fabric or ribbon trim and hot glue along the front of your CD cover covering the seams as you go. Be sure your CD case is closed when doing this. : )
12. Hot glue the CD Sleeve to the inside of your CD case.
Slip your CD or DVD into the sleeve, tie a bow and your all done!