Why hello! It's been a while. I've missed posting on this little blog.
Life is finally settling down in our little household. Thankfully.
And what that means is I have some free time to whittle away at my fabric stash. : ) Project Run and Play has started up again and I plan on sewing along for a few of the challenges.
This week's challenge is to remix Lindsey of the Cottage Home's The Party Dress Pattern.
This is a GREAT basic pattern. With a little creativity you can do so much with a basic pattern like this. I almost sewed up a plaid coat with the pattern but opted to go for this Brocade dress instead (Winters just aren't long enough in Texas!), and my oh my I'm so glad that I did. I'll get to that coat soon enough... maybe.
The fabric is a brocade-type purchased from Joann's (purchased for around $10 with a coupon). It has a lovely aqua blue hue with gorgeous gold running through it. It is a little itchy so I opted to line the whole thing with a light weight cotton. I must admit, when I purchased this fabric from Joann's a few months ago, I told the lady at the cutting counter I was making a dress for my Little One. She looked at me and then looked at the fabric and said, "I hope it will be a costume." I quickly and ashamedly lied and said it was indeed for a costume of sorts (no judging! haha!). I did doubt my fabric choice for a while so in my fabric stash this sat for quite a while. : )
The truth was as soon as I laid eyes on that fabric I knew it was destined for a short and sweet party dress. So when PR&P had this challenge it gave me a great chance to sew the design I had in mind and to use that darn fabric. I love the finished product and so does the Little One.
For those of you who care, I have detailed the changes I did to Lindsey's pattern to make this sweet little number.
I wanted a shorter waistline and a lower neckline then what Lindsey's pattern called for so I just shortened the bodice pieces and used a bowl to trace a larger neckline.
Lindsey's dress pattern is a sleeveless pattern, but I felt this design really needed short sleeves. So I drafted some sleeves and sew that to the bodice pieces.
Because the fabric is so busy and ornate, I wanted a very simple narrow sash in the front that would widen to make a nice bow in the back. I also attached the sash to the front of the bodice. It was a pretty simple change from Lindsey's original pattern.
Also, for the buttons I decided to not use her technique for button holes. I will use that in the future, but for this dress simple was better.
The only other change was that on all my seams I used flat felled seams which gave this dress a professional finish from the inside out.
That's it. : ) A party dress for the Little One, thank you to Lindsey from the Cottage Home, you rock!